Disinfecting Considerations of an Oral Appliance
After your office has received the device and you have meticulously examined its quality, following disinfection protocols below before are suggested at a minimum prior to delivering an appliance to an patient.
- Rinse device under running tap water and shake gently to remove adherent water.
- Disinfect the device using an intermediate-level, EPA-registered disinfectant for the contact time recommended by the manufacturer (usually about 15 minutes).
- After the proper exposure time, the device is rinsed under running tap water and gently shaken to remove adherent water.
- Properly disinfected and dried device are ready for delivery.
Any appliance from the oral cavity is a potential source of infection. Most appliances cannot withstand standard heat sterilization procedures. An alternative technique would be disinfection by immersion following a thorough cleaning.
- An intermediate-level disinfectant (tuberculocidal claim) should be used before an appliance is handled or worked upon in the practice.
- Some heavily soiled (eg, calculus or adhesive) appliances require cleaning or light scrubbing before disinfection.
- Place the appliance into a zippered plastic bag that contains ultrasonic detergent or another type of specialized cleaning solution for removable oral appliances.
- The bag is then placed in the chamber of an ultrasonic cleaner.
- The best cleaning action occurs in the middle of the cleaning chamber. Poorer cleaning occurs near the top and bottom of the solution pool. Bags can also be held in place by allowing the lip to pinch a corner.
- Sometimes further cleaning by hand is required. Air-powdered cleaners, such as steam cleaners, should only be used on cleaned and disinfected appliances.
- Rinse the appliance thoroughly
Put a Ring on It!
Ask your Practice Advisor about joining our Trial Program! We would love to send you five VivoScore by SleepImage home sleep test rings to try out for ten days, on us!
We are excited announce additional support for VivoScore, powered by SleepImage. Beginning Tuesday, May 25th our amazing help desk team added support for all needs around VivoScore.
Please reach out to them with any questions or concerns!
Phone: 720-399-9322 email: [email protected]
Just window shopping and need more information?
Check out the two new VivoScore courses now on your LMS!
VivoScore- Basics & Beyond
Dr. Ford Shippey
Dr. Ford Shippey and Dr. Jon Caulfield
If you are already using the VivoScore units and have questions on how to read your reports these will be great resources for you!
Spring into Summer with a $300 off enrollment fee coupon when signing up for the Billing Intelligence Service.
Check out vivosbis.com to see more information on our 3 packages: Silver, Gold and Platinum!
Live Session 1-3 Practical Training in Denver, CO!
If you have not yet attended in person training and have completed your training online, we would like to invite you to join us in Denver for Live Session 1-3 where you can put into practice your online learning.
You are invited to bring a staff member with you. Space is limited so Don’t Delay-Register TODAY!
We look forward to seeing you in Denver.
Click the link below to see the next available dates!
You Won’t Want to Miss This!
Dr. Kali Hale’s Clinical Advisory Presentation
Dr. Kali Hale’s Clinical Advisory presentation is now available for viewing on your LMS! We highly recommend watching this phenomenal presentation on Making Vivos a Success in Your Practice!
New on the Scene!
New and exciting webinars are here! The Practice Advisory team is thrilled to host and present these educational and informative 30-minute webinars! Register to join today!
Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 1pm MDT - Pediatric Cases: Getting Started
Join us as Practice Advisor, Erin Rice presents how to get started on pediatric cases as well as tips and practices!
Friday, June 4, 2021 at 12pm MDT - AIS Presents: Myofunctional Therapy
Join us to learn what is Myofunctional Therapy and what does Myofunctional Therapy look like in your Dental Practice with Myo-Correct
Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 12pm MDT- Enhancing Your Patient Experience with Visual Aids
Join us as the PA team presents this 30 minutes presentation on how and why you should enhance your patient experience with visual aides. We will provide you with examples as well as Tips and Best Practices!
Don’t Miss Upcoming Webinars
Check out our weekly live courses, including the Breathe New Life Summit: a new exploration of the essential role of dentistry in the treatment of the underlying cause of sleep disordered breathing and mild-to-moderate obstructive sleep apnea.